What happens when Mother Nature reclaims a pond? Tim Matson presents a first person narrative about disappearing ponds in this special pondology for 2015. Read about the pond that used to be in this month's Pondology.
WHAT IS AN EARTH POND?
Earth ponds are natural earthen reservoirs, often created by excavation and/or damming up a natural soil-based basin, sometimes with the addition of a clay or artificial membrane liner.
Earth ponds can be used for swimming, garden landscaping, raising fish, and more...
This site is designed to give you information as well as provide a way to get expert consulting services and consulting designs when planning or constructing your pond or garden pond.
The Book of Non-Electric Lighting by Tim Matson is available as an eBook for your Amazon Kindle. Click here to check it out.
NEW REVIEW OF THIS BOOK!
"Best guide to safe use of flame-based illumination." Read the entire review on Cool Tools
RETURN to A COUNTRY PLANET
Available again as an eBook after many years
out of print. New 25th Anniversary
Edition of Tim Matson’s prize winning
stories of Rural Savvy, Skills,
and Survival. Includes Smart
Approaches to Water
Issues, from Ponds to
Dowsing a Water Well.
“Reading A Country Planet is a little like
eavesdropping on someone talking to
himself about pigs and hayrakes and listers,
but talking in a wry, corner-of-the mouth style
that makes the eavesdropper snort and whinny to
himself… The general effect is to make you want
to run out and buy a slice of Vermont hillside and
start cutting trees to build your own cabin in the woods
even if you’ve already done it years ago.”
Annie Proulx, Pulitzer Prize winner and author
of Brokeback Mountain
Download your copy today.
Pond guru Tim is profiled in YANKEE MAGAZINE. Click hereto read it.
"Aside from some particularly thoughtful frogs and phragmites, no one on earth knows more about ponds than Tim Matson." Michael Pollan, The Omnivore's Dilemma
Read reviews of Tim Matson's books and videos.
ADAPTING YOUR POND TO CLIMATE CHANGE
Read Tim's comprehensive article on
ponds and climate change, as featured
in Pond Boss Magazine
EARTHPONDS.com WELCOMES KASCO MARINE
Earthponds welcomes a new sponsor for 2015: Kasco Marine. For almost 50 years Kasco Marine has been manufacturing quality aeration products for ponds and lakes, which provide the lowest total cost of ownership (initial purchase price, repair costs and monthly power bill). Kasco’s distribution channels span the globe but focus on North America, so there is sure to be a Kasco dealer close to you. Kasco Marine offers four fisheries biologists with more than 100 years of combined industry experience to give you professional, practical advice to assist selecting the right product for your application. Kasco has several products that work great in ponds and lakes that are designed for swimming and fishing:
- Robust-Aire Diffused Aeration: This award winning system will effectively aerate your pond or lake providing healthy oxygen throughout the body of water. (Independently tested to be the most efficient at moving water.)
- Circulators and De-Icers: Kasco circulators and de-icers use industry-leading technology and are an economical way to move stagnant water, keep debris out and prevent ice damage or winter kills on ponds and lakes. There are 12 volt and 120/230 volt options available for duck hunting.
- Surface Aerators: Add the most oxygen to your pond or lake and increase fish health and growth rates with Kasco's surface aerators. Kasco’s surface aerators are an excellent choice for aeration emergencies and are the workhorse of the US aquaculture industry.
- Decorative and Aerating Fountains: Kasco has several options for decorative and aerating fountains to fit the needs of your pond or lake. Available with multiple nozzle choices and in several sizes. Many Kasco fountains also include the option of adding the latest LED lighting technology.
- Macro-Zyme Beneficial Bacteria: Clean up the sludge and foul odor in your pond or lake with beneficial bacteria. Available as powder, a small tablet or as a larger time release block, Macro-Zyme will help improve the clarity and quality of your water and reduce any unwanted muck accumulation.
- AquaRenew Pond and Lake Dye: Enhance the natural beauty and clarity of your pond or lake with Kasco’s all new dye available in blue and dark blue. This color correcting dye will add a stunning look to your body of water and is offered in an easy to use powder form. One 4 oz. water soluble bag of dye treats 1.33 acre-feet (438,832 gallons) of water. Available soon.
To learn more about any of the products listed here or to get Kasco’s entire product line-up visit online at www.kascomarine.com or email their sales team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/kascomarine.
Other articles by Tim Matson
Bringing Back a Swamp: Discover Ways to Naturalize Wetland Features for Your Pond Read the article.
A Win-Wind Solution: from Tim Matson's article for Backhome Magazine. Read an excerpt.
A Pond in the Woods: Read this article which appeared on the Northern Woodlands website.
Maintaining Pond Spillways:
Know the Basics of a Pond Discharge System: Read Tim’s article on pond spillway
construction and maintenance in Living The Country
The definitive book on Earth Ponds in a third edition
to help celebrate it's 30th Anniversary.
"This is not your average how-to; it's beautifully written and a joy to read."
Read the entire review on Cool Tools.